Here is a list of our favourite language apps in 2020 (feel free to suggest any you love):
- Grammarly (Chrome extension or keyboard addition) – Grammarly is an AI-powered writing assistant which checks your spelling and grammar across documents, emails and social media. It also helps you nail the correct tone for your writing and improves the style of your writing.
- LearnEnglish Grammar by the British Council – with thousands of practice questions, this app provides an English grammar educational tool for all levels of English speakers.
- Scribd – this ebook and audiobook service represents the world’s largest digital library and also includes access to magazines and even sheet music, all on one app.
- Mondly – most language learning apps only allow their users to learn from English, whereas Mondly offers learning from 33 different languages. There is also MondlyKids which allows children from any of these language backgrounds to make the most of this opportunity.
- WordReference – this straightforward app offers bilingual dictionaries and verb conjugations for many European languages and is much more reliable than launching Google translate. When searching for a word, the app offers sentences which put the term in context to allow users to select the most appropriate equivalent.
- Sounds – this app focuses on English pronunciation and allows users to listen to various English sounds, as well as the pronunciation of over 650 words. Users can also record their own pronunciation to compare it to the app.
- Mango – this language learning app uses an adaptive algorithm which adapts the app to your learning habits. It offers over 70 languages and dialects and introduces the user to cultural insights and grammatical nuances.